Twenty-three-year-old Tom Purcell is Wave Racer, a 64-bit freak speeding through the horizon, straight for the unknown. Taking both Australia and the world by storm, Purcell’s blend of pixelated funk zooms and enhances on trans-continental club sounds and gold plated production standards and blows them straight out of the water. Read More...
Twenty-three-year-old Tom Purcell is Wave Racer, a 64-bit freak speeding through the horizon, straight for the unknown. Taking both Australia and the world by storm, Purcell’s blend of pixelated funk zooms and enhances on trans-continental club sounds and gold plated production standards and blows them straight out of the water.
Signed by Australian tastemaker record label Future Classic following his debut ‘Rock U Tonight’, Purcell doubled down with the release of ‘Streamers’ in early 2014, fast becoming one of the most rotated artists on Australia’s Triple J and a regular fixture on international stations BBC1 and KCRW.
Backing his personal productions, Wavey has given his glistening aquatic remix treatment to a cascade of tracks before re-releasing them into the wild. Cosmo’s Midnight, Ryan Hemsworth, Flight Facilities, Dcup and Panama are only the start of a long list of artists Purcell has rubbed exactly the right way.
Wave Racer’s sound is often (and best) described as driving down Mario Kart’s Rainbow Road to the club of your dreams. Melding vocal samples, synthesised trumpets and bass guitar slaps with his sunrise-styled melodies, Purcell gained early attention from the likes of Diplo, Flume, Snakehips, Madeon, and Skrillex.
Having toured throughout Australia with Disclosure, and alongside Chromeo in both the US and Canada, you could be forgiven for forgetting that he has only been in the spotlight for two years. Featuring at festivals such as HARD Summer, Dour Festival, Peacock Society, Falls, Groovin’ the Moo, OutsideIn and Mad Decent Boat Party, Wave Racer has covered the US, Europe and Australia with ease.
With sights firmly set on his fifth tour of the US, there is simply no sign of this racer hitting shore… so just jump on the dolphin and ride that .wav.
- Wave Racer thought to be the next Flume by In The Mix
- Wave Racer supports Porter Robinson on his Australian headline dates 2015
- Wave Racer and Lido's collaboration on ‘World Record’ premieres on Billboard
- Wave Racer takes his Flash Drive EP on Tour around USA
- Wave Racer plays at the Sydney Opera House for Future Classic's FCX Vivid Live Showcase
- Wave Racer plays to a crowd of over 4,000 at Electric Forest Festival
- Wave Racer releases 'captivating' 'Flash Drive' EP
- Wave Racer's remix of Snakehips' 'All My Friends' awarded 'Track Of The Day' on Clash Magazine
- Wave Racer wins 'Best Producer' at the 2015 FBi SMAC Awards
- Wave Racer "makes some of the most simply euphoric music," says Do Androids Dance
- Wave Racer remixes Panama's "Always" on Earmilk
- Wave Racer's remix of DCUP's "Don't Be Shy" premiered on XLR8R
- Wave Racer delivers ‘amazing’ remix of Duke Dumont’s ‘The Giver (Reprise)’