Tuxedo is Grammy nominated renaissance man Mayer Hawthorne (Aquarius) and Grammy nominated producer Jake One (Taurus). They are descendants of the one-word moniker family of funk, where you will find groups such as Chic, Shalamar, Plush & Zapp. Read More...
Tuxedo is Grammy nominated renaissance man Mayer Hawthorne (Aquarius) and Grammy nominated producer Jake One (Taurus). They are descendants of the one-word moniker family of funk, where you will find groups such as Chic, Shalamar, Plush & Zapp.
The Tuxedo collaboration began with an exchange of boogie funk mixtapes back in 2006. “They had a lot of the same songs on them.” said Jake. “I couldn’t believe there was another person in the world that cared about this style of music.”
The fruits of a long-standing kinship were three tracks that mysteriously showed up on Internet doorsteps nearly two years ago. In between Mayer’s solo albums, and Jake’s productions for Drake, Fun., J. Cole, etc., these three tracks became a full album’s worth of Tuxedo. The album was mixed by original disco don dada John Morales at his home studio in South Plainfield, New Jersey. “I flew out there,” Mayer says. “John made me spaghetti and everything.”
The duo released their debut album Tuxedo on Stones Throw Records earlier this year.
- Tuxedo's "Without Your Love" featured in Hillydilly
- Tuxedo's "The Right Time" gets remixed by Kaytranada and Badbadnotgood (via Pigeons & Planes)
- Tuxedo featured in Wax Poetics
- Tuxedo featured on Medium
- Tuxedo featured on NPR's First Listen
- Tuxedo interviewed by Billboard about their second album in progress
- Tuxedo discusses their influences, how Tuxedo came together, and "bringing the funk back" with Noisey
- Tuxedo drops "Number One" and announces debut album via Exclaim
- Tuxedo's first EP premiered on 2 Dope Boyz
- Tuxedo's "Get U Home" called an "irresistible bedroom-banger with a slinky-smooth groove" by Soul Bounce
- Tuxedo's self-titled EP featured in HillyDilly
- Tuxedo's EP called "smooth, synth-heavy funk that never loses its tongue-in-cheek classy touch" by OkayPlayer