Modular / Casablanca / Universal Republic
The Presets are Julian Hamilton and Kim Moyes. The duo met while pursuing musical studies at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music. Discovering a mutual interest in contemporary music outside of their course, they joined the instrumental, experimental band Prop, and in 2003 formed the more techno, dance focussed duo The Presets. Read More...
The Presets are Julian Hamilton and Kim Moyes. The duo met while pursuing musical studies at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music. Discovering a mutual interest in contemporary music outside of their course, they joined the instrumental, experimental band Prop, and in 2003 formed the more techno, dance focussed duo The Presets.
The band became quickly recognised for their ability to fuse elements of dance music with an energy more akin to that of a rock’n’roll show. After signing with Modular Recordings in late 2003, the band released two EPs and an album Beams (2005).
In 2008 The Presets released the chart topping album Apocalypso, selling in excess of Triple Platinum sales in Australia and featuring four hit singles, including ‘My People’ – which became the longest charting single in Australian history. The Presets went on to win 5 ARIA awards (and 2 ARIA Artisan Awards) for the album in 2008, including Album of the Year, as well as the J Award and FBI SMAC Award for Album of The Year. They also shared the coveted Songwriter of The Year Award at the 2009 APRA Awards.
Pacifica was released in 2012, featuring Rolling Stone Magazine’s Song Of The Year, ‘Ghosts’. Pacifica was also nominated for an ARIA Award, shortlisted for the AMP Award, the J Award, and was Album of the Year in the Herald Sun and Daily Telegraph, and Electronic Album of the Year in the Sydney Morning Herald.
The Presets have been recognised worldwide for their dynamic live performances, playing hundreds of shows domestically and internationally, including key slots at renowned international music festivals such as Glastonbury, Coachella, Exit, Melt and Splendour In The Grass.
As individuals, Hamilton and Moyes have both collaborated with many other artists as songwriters, composers, producers and featured artists. Collectively they have remixed many prominent artists, as well as collaborating with Melbourne based contemporary dance company Chunky Move.
- The Presets featured in a 'day in the life' video on Vice's Thump
- The Presets debut their May 2013 tour mixtape
- The Presets' "Fall" featured as Rolling Stone's daily download
- The Presets talk EDM, expectations, and becoming career artists with Billboard
- The Presets "nail it at the Enmore," says Time Out Sydney
- The Presets preform an amazing set at the Hordern Pavillion
- The Presets awarded 'Single Of The Year' for 'Ghosts' by Rolling Stone Australia
- The Presets' "Promises" is Vimeo's Staff Pick of the day
- The Presets' "Ghost" video premieres on Stereogum
- The Presets are "unequivocally the best live set ever witnessed" says LA Music Blog