London-based producer Ryan Lee West, better known under the name Rival Consoles, is notable for making synthesisers sound human and atmospheric. Read More...
London-based producer Ryan Lee West, better known under the name Rival Consoles, is notable for making synthesisers sound human and atmospheric. With the release of his ‘Odyssey’ and ‘Sonne’ EPs, West has gained a reputation for making thoughtful electronica that spans a wide spectrum of musical ideas. Foremost a guitarist, growing up listening to rock rather than club music, his last full-length album ‘Howl’ sees West strive towards finding a more personal balance between music for home listening and larger spaces.
August 5th marks the release of Ryan’s new 34-minute, 6-track mini album ‘Night Melody’, born out of and shaped by long hours working into the night. It’s nocturnal in sound; mysterious in the way that the early hours so often are.
“I found myself, in a silent home, with the days getting dark very early. I’ve never before in my life been affected by the lack of light so much. I just remember it always being night time. I would either make music into the night, go out drinking with friends, or go to parties and dance into the early hours, every day, week after week, month after month, until eventually the days became brighter again.”
It’s rarely reported that Rival Consoles was Erased Tapes’ very first signing, with a CDR of early demos under the name Aparatec that inspired founder Robert Raths to start the label. Indeed West has more in common with his contemporaries Nils Frahm and Peter Broderick than some might think. His consistent desire to create a more organic, humanised sound sees West often draft early ideas on traditional, acoustic instruments like the guitar or the piano; forming pieces that capture a sense of songwriting behind the electronics.
Fascinated by sound from an early age, Ryan chose to dedicate his time to studying, experimenting with and producing sound, graduating from De Montfort University in his hometown Leicester. Having repeatedly performed at such prestigious venues as the Tate, and having created a bespoke audio-visual performance for Boiler Room at the V&A Museum, the blueprint for West’s current live A/V show was formed. Featuring self-programmed visuals in Max/MSP has earned him appearances at music festivals around the world including Moogfest, FORM: Arcosanti, Mutek, Decibel, Big Ears and Berghain’s Pop-Kultur Festival, as well as tours in support of Clark, Nosaj Thing, Luke Abbott and Kiasmos.
Summer 2016 will see Ryan follow on from his recent North American Tour with the appearance at many festivals including Lovebox, Secret Garden Party, La Route Du Rock, Sea Change and Tale of Us-curated Afterlife party at Space, Ibiza. ‘Night Melody’ will be available on 12” vinyl and digitally, August 5th.
- Rival Consoles streams "Johannesburg" off of "Night Melody" on THUMP
- Rival Consoles streams mini-LP, 'Night Melody', on XLR8R
- Rival Consoles announces new mini album "Night Melody" on Resident Advisor
- Rival Consoles streams "Lone" off of "Night Melody" on XLR8R
- Rival Consoles performed a tremendous Boiler Room set
- Rival Consoles' 'Howl' received 7.7 on Pitchfork
- Rival Consoles' album 'Howl' reviewed on The Wall Street Journal
- Rival Consoles' album 'Howl' reviewed on AllMusic
- Rival Consoles' album 'Howl' featured on Popmatters
- Rival Consoles' album 'Howl' reviewed on Exclaim!
- Rival Consoles was the 'unsung gem' of MUTEK festival, says Exclaim!
- Resident Advisor announces new album 'Howl' to be released on Erased Tapes, October 2015.
- Rival Consoles new album 'HOWL' premieres on SPIN
- Rival Consoles premieres new track, 'Afterglow' on Best Fit
- Rival Consoles talks to XLR8R about the production processes behind his last album
- Rival Consoles "Ghosting" Featured on Pitchfork
- Rival Consoles short documentary, Everything All At Once, just published on EXCLAIM!
- Rival Consoles Exclusive Mix in Dummy
- Rival Consoles Video Premiere in Exclaim!
- Rival Consoles ‘Helios' exclusive track giveaway in XLR8R
- Rival Consoles Studio Feature in Attack
- Rival Consoles new EP "Sonne" announced on Resident Advisor
- Rival Consoles Odyssey EP exclusively streamed on Dummy Magazine
- Rival Consoles "Odyssey" video premiered on XLR8R
- Rival Consoles interviewed on Vice
- Rival Consoles Odyssey EP reviewed on Resident Advisor