An uncompromising and individual musician, Max Cooper has carved out his own artistic space between the worlds of emotional dancefloor experimentation, fine-art sound design, and tireless and varied attempts to examine the scientific world through visuals. Read More...
An uncompromising and individual musician, Max Cooper has carved out his own artistic space between the worlds of emotional dancefloor experimentation, fine-art sound design, and tireless and varied attempts to examine the scientific world through visuals.
The first phase of that artistic development climaxed with his debut album Human on FIELDS in 2014, described by FACT as “impossibly gorgeous,” by Clash as “sumptuous, enticingly beautiful,” by Earmilk as “a religious experience”, and by DUMMY magazine as “wanting you to dance and cry simultaneously, and probably succeeding in doing so”.
Born in 1980 and raised in Belfast, Cooper’s university years saw his first forays into DJing and genetics, leading to a PhD in computational biology while releasing his first work in 2007. Since then, he has left behind his academic career and expanded his musical palette to include psychoacoustics, 3D sound design, field recordings, a focus on melody rare in electronic music circles, and work with artists including noted contemporary classical composers Michael Nyman and Nils Frahm; pop acts Hot Chip, Au Revoir Simone, BRAIDS, MMOTHS and Halls; pianist Tom Hodge and a jazz trio including UK vocalist Kathrin de Boer.
Cooper’s critically acclaimed festival and club performances, and the Human album, draw heavily on juxtaposition: ambient and overwhelming, beautiful and furious, excessive and restrained. His video work engages with scientific concepts including complexity, natural form, heredity, dimensionality, gravitation, emergence, number theory and morphogenesis, and his 70+ released tracks are now joined by 27 video works.
Cooper has now had more than 12m streams of his music, and his festival appearances range from experimental sets at MUTEK and sit-down gigs in Paris, to pounding out techno to 10,000 people at Awakenings and Igloofest. Cooper has twice been one of Resident Advisor’s top 20 live acts, and a Beatport artist of the year. He has a Momentum award from the UK’s PRS Foundation that tips the most upcoming UK artists each year, and his key mixes – Resident Advisor, XLR8R, an Essential Mix, his “Sounds and Spaces” mix – have had hundreds of thousands of plays.
Last year, Cooper launched his debut audiovisual show EMERGENCE at the Decibel Festival in Seattle – a one-man show that ties together his scientific, experimental, musical and visual interests in a single conceptual framework. Performed entirely live and solo, it was described by Mixmag as “one of the most striking live experiences out there”. One of few electronic performers as comfortable rocking a club as soundtracking a gallery opening, Cooper will continue to tour EMERGENCE through 2015, as well as launching his own download series, the Quotient Series, free to subscribers at maxcooper.net.
“Burns with an incredible creative intensity … sumptuous, enticingly beautiful” – Clash
“Impossibly gorgeous … searching for the perfect balance between cripplingly beautiful electronica and club-tooled dance music”- FACT
“Beautiful, quiet majesty … incredibly visual in its filmic, grand atmospherics” – The Line of Best Fit
“Aurally stunning and cinematic at every turn … techno with blood running through its veins” – Resident Advisor
“Stunning … showcasing his ability to create breath-taking electronic music that transcends the dancefloor” – Mixmag
“Really excellent… Wants you to dance and cry simultaneously, and will probably succeed in doing so” – DUMMY
“Insanely good … nuanced, intricate production, which lends itself so ideally to home listening.” – The FADER
- Max Cooper's 'All Night Long London' Mix is Named One of The Best Mixes of The Year by Red Bull
- FACT Magazine - Max Cooper brings his epic surround sound show to London.
- XLR8R recap of Max Cooper's live show at Subtract Music in L.A.
- Max Cooper featured on THUMP's Rave Curious Podcast
- Max Cooper announces new album, Emergence
- Max Cooper Lines Up New Album; Stream Cut Here
- Max Cooper's "Waves" on IndieShuffle
- Max Cooper's Starry Sky Lights Up an Underground Concert
- Max Cooper Shares New Video, 'Waves'
- Max Cooper's New Single 'Trust' Is called an Autumnal Electronica Track for the Ages by Thump Magazine
- Max Cooper interviewed by Thump on latest album "Emergence"
- Max Cooper announces upcoming North American tour via Mixmag
- Max Cooper announces upcoming North American tour dates via Electronic Groove
- Max Cooper outlines next North American tour via Resident Advisor
- Max Cooper interviewed by DJ Techtools
- Max Cooper's 'Radio 1 Essential Mix' featured in Fact Magazine
- Max Cooper's 'Emergence' scores a rare 4/5 rave review on ResidentAdvisor
- Max Cooper voted in Top 40 Live Acts of 2015 on Resident Advisor Poll
- Max Cooper takes the number one spot in Dancing Astronaut's Top Ten Essential Mixes of 2015
- Max Cooper's All Night Long (London Mix)
- Max Cooper announces debut album
- Max Cooper's 'Seething' music video featured on Boing Boing
- Max Cooper's 'Remnants' music video featured on The Creator's Project
- Max Cooper's ADE set listed by THUMP as top 10 best of ADE
- Max Cooper releases a RBMA 'home listening' mix
- Max Cooper interviewed by Clash Magazine
- Max Cooper's exclusive 'live' mix for Clash Magazine
- Max Cooper's 4D Sound Show featured by VICE's The Creators Project
- Max Cooper interviewed by Earmilk
- Max Cooper mixes FACT 424
- Max Cooper interviewed by Attack Magazine