"Ices" is a celebration of flight, levity, and the conviction that you can leave earth. You take wing in an airplane, you go to real places when you dream, you have out-of-body experiences, you get high, you lose yourself in someone else. Read More...
“Ices” is a celebration of flight, levity, and the conviction that you can leave earth. You take wing in an airplane, you go to real places when you dream, you have out-of-body experiences, you get high, you lose yourself in someone else.
When we started work on these songs, I was beginning a gradual move to California, constantly traveling back and forth from New York. I was experimenting. I was falling in love. Our studio in the Hudson Valley was full of electronics and computers and the sounds of future ships sailing throughthe vastness of space, and I sometimes forgot where I was. The first songs we wrote were called “flying 1”, then “flying 2”, and so on, which eventually evolved into songs on the album. Flight became a metaphor for the ignition of the imagination. The process created a lightness in me, a freedom and positiveenergy that I?d never before felt or explored.
This recording session became a two year music and spiritual retreat with my psychic twin brother, Eliot. A private journey during which we abandoned old habits and familiar sounds. We got really geeky and experimented in our studio. We obsessed over sympathetic magic, “Ancient Aliens”, and the NBA. We allowed everything we loved to find its way in: Persian percussion, hip-hop beats, lo-fi, hi-fi, Pakistani pop, Link Wray, Jason Pierce, gospel, dub. We developed new systems; we worked with synthesis, software, and samples; webecame producers. The Hudson Valley was home base, but I wanted to keep flying. I wrote songs in California, recorded vocals in Atlanta, and worked with Clams Casino in Brooklyn.For the first time, Lia Ices felt like an inclusive project with its own identity, not just a name.
“Ices” as a whole is devoted to these certainties. While we have evolved, we are still animals. We respond to planets, patterns, and cycles. We require the sounds of our origins. We live in the future but stay bound to the primitive and primordial. We will always want tribe, we will always want rhythm, we willalways need music to guide us into our deepest sense of what it means to be human. So we hear sounds from all over the planet in this album. We devour so much music, and with this album we allowed ourselves to claim bits from all of it.
- Lia Ices performs "Higher" on World Cafe
- Lia Ices premieres "Creature" on Nowness
- Lia Ices premieres "Higher (Samuel Proffitt Remix)" on Magnetic Mag
- Lia Ices Debuts video for 'Higher' on PaperMag.com
- Lia Ices announces new album on Consequence of Sound
- Lia Ices' "Thousand Eyes" streaming at Gorilla vs. Bear
- Lia Ices' "Little Marriage" premiered on FADER
- Lia Ices interviewed on MSNBC by Brian Williams
- Lia Ices performs "Ice Wine" live on Yours Truly
- Lia Ices featured in Vogue Magazine
- Lia Ice's "Daphne" featured by Under the Radar
- Lia Ices interview with Encore Mag
- Lia Ices on Fader TV
- Lia Ices featured in American Songwriter's Under The Radar
- Lia Ices featured in Interview Magazine