Twins Paris and Amber Strother and musical sister Anita Bias are KING. In 2011 KING independently released their first EP to much acclaim; title track "The Story", "Supernatural", and "Hey" make up the 3-piece introduction to their carefully crafted dream-soul sound. Hours after the release, their EP had traveled far to music lovers and tastemakers alike, making new fans of many. Read More...
Twins Paris and Amber Strother and musical sister Anita Bias are dream-pop trio KING. In 2011, KING independently released their debut EP to much acclaim- The Story, Supernatural, and Hey made up the 3-piece introduction to their carefully crafted sound. Fueled by word of mouth excitement and social media posts from supporters including Prince, Gilles Peterson, Erykah Badu, Solange, Nile Rodgers, Sam Sparro, Janelle Monae, Questlove and a host of others, their story and songs have spread wide and made new fans of many. Since the release of their initial EP, KING have been touring, performing as a headlining act to sold out crowds in Los Angeles, New York, Atlanta, Chicago, London, and Amsterdam amidst a host of other US cities.
KING’s eclectic sound is relatable yet not simply defined. Though they play with the boundaries of their many influences, throughout each song is the common thread of a certain soulful authenticity. The smooth vibe, intricate production, and harmonic style of their music evolved beautifully in their home studio, a product solely of the three women and a result of their Minneapolis and Los Angeles roots.
Paris produces KING’s songs, while Amber and Anita are the primary singers. The three work together on songwriting and arrangements to create their unique sound, garnering such accolades as NPR’s Song of the Day and 10 Songs Public Radio Can’t Stop Playing, Billboard’s 10 Best R&B Songs of 2014, The Guardian’s New Band of the Day and Best Albums of 2013, Metro UK’s Singles of the Week, Glamour Magazine’s 2013 Free Holiday Music Campaign, and the 55th GRAMMY Award for ‘Move Love’, their collaboration with Robert Glasper on his Best R&B Album ‘Black Radio’.
- KING's "We Are King" listed in The 50 Best Albums of 2016 by Pitchfork
- KING's new "In The Meantime" music video featured on SPIN
- KING premieres new music video for "In The Meantime" on Pitchfork
- KING tops Bandcamp's Best Albums of 2016 list with "We Are KING"
- KING's "We Are KING" listed as one of The Best Albums of 2016 by The Guardian
- KING's "We Are KING" listed as one of The 20 Best Pop and R&B Albums of 2016 on Pitchfork
- KING's "We Are KING" listed as one of the Top 15 Soul and R&B Albums of 2016 on Exclaim!
- KING brings "the glorious sonics" to Iceland Airwaves 2016 via The Guardian
- KING featured as "Best New Artist" in Complex
- KING's music video for "Native Land" premiered on FADER
- KING included in Rolling Stone’s list of Best R&B Albums of 2016 So Far
- KING featured on NPR’s Favorite Songs of 2016 So Far
- KING's "We Are KING" named one of the best albums of 2016 by TIME
- KING’s debut album named one of Newsday’s Best Albums of 2016 So Far
- KING's new album featured on Stereogum as one of the best 50 albums of 2016
- KING's "We are KING" named one of the best albums of 2016 by Complex
- KING’s “We Are KING” one of Noisey’s Extremely Dope Overlooked Albums of 2016
- KING interviews with NPR on All Things Considered
- KING named one of Rolling Stone's 10 Artists You Need To Know
- KING featured as 'New Heirs To R&B's Throne' by Consequence of Sound
- KING's new single and music video, "Carry On", premiered on Billboard
- KING's debut full length album, 'We Are King' reviewed by New York Times
- KING featured on Corinne Bailey Rae single, "Green Aphrodisiac", premiere on COMPLEX
- KING collaborates with Robert Glasper on Grammy-winning album, 'Black Radio'
- KING's "Mister Chameleon" included in 10 Songs Public Radio Can't Stop Playing
- KING featured on Billboard's 10 Best R&B Songs of 2014 for "Mister Chameleon"
- KING featured on Pitchfork Best New Track for "Hey" (Extended Remix)
- KING nominated as Guardian's New Band Of The Day
- KING's "Supernatural" featured on NPR's Song Of The Day